Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Incarnation of God the Word: His Assumed Mortality

In previous blogs I have shown some of the prophecies of the incarnation of God the Word. In this blog, I wish to point out the mortal nature of His assumed humanity.

Anyone who examines the Scriptures can see that Jesus Christ must have had a mortal human nature. It is quite apparent that He could die and that He actually did. In the Gospels we read that Christ said:


And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: even as the Son of Man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life a ransom for many. (St. Matt. 20:27, 28)


and:


I am the Good Shepherd: the Good Shepherd giveth His life for the sheep. (St. John 10:11)


Jesus anticipated His own death. He even spoke about the manner of His death to His disciples.


From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto His disciples, how that He must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day. (St. Matt. 16:21)


In the Gospels we can read about His death. In St. Luke's Gospel, it says that He stopped breathing when He died.


And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice, He said, “Father, ‘into Your hands I commit My spirit.’ ” Having said this, He breathed His last. (St. Luke 23:46, NKJV)


St. Paul, in his Epistles, taught that Christ died.


But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. (Rom. 5:8)


For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures. (I Cor. 15:3)


So then, the body that Jesus was born with was a mortal one. God the Word assumed mortal human flesh from His mother. The flesh that He assumed was not immortal.


Although His body was mortal, no one could actually kill Him. There were attempts made by the Jews to do so, but they were unsuccessful. (St. Luke 4:28-30; St. John 8:57-59; 10:39, 40)


Jesus allowed Himself to be crucified. (St. John 19:10,11) He voluntarily laid down His life. He said:


Therefore doth My Father love Me, because I lay down My life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of My Father. (St. John 10:17,18)

He could have prevented His death. When He was on the Cross, He could even have healed Himself just as He had healed many people of sicknesses and even raised the dead. However, out of His love for us He died so that we might have eternal life.


So, God the Word assumed a mortal human nature like ours.


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment